The FinancialLink tool used by Finagraph and BBC Easy requires Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2 or newer to run. We upgraded to this newer framework in the second half of 2014 in order to support higher levels of security and encryption for data transport via the linker. Note that the .NET framework requires Windows 7 or newer.
Update: As of March 2017, Financial Link will warn you if your .NET is out of date with a message indicating: System Update Required. Use the link at the bottom of this article to download the update for the .NET framework.
If the computer used to run FinancialLink is equipped with an earlier version of .NET then the browser will fail to launch FinancialLink and display a pop-up error such as "Cannot Start Application" (Note, the error message may be different depending upon which version of Windows you are running.)
Example 1: Cannot continue. The application is improperly formatted. Contact the application vendor for assistance.
Example 2: Cannot download the application. The application is missing required files. Contact application vendor for assistance.
To confirm that the error is caused by an out of date .NET framework, click the Details button.
- The third line will be labeled "Common Language Runtime". If that starts with 4.0 we are on the right track.
- In the ERROR SUMMARY section, there will be more specific errors that differ depending upon your version of Windows. Here are some examples.
- + Failed to load the runtime.
- + Exception reading manifest from (a long address starting with https://ncusbbceasy.blob.core.windows.net)
- + Manifest XML signature is not valid. (This indicates that the older version of .NET cannot open the encryption certificate offered by Finagraph and/or BBC Easy.
Resolve this error by upgrading to the latest version of the .NET Framework.
4.6.2 is required as of January 2017. You can downloaded it from this Microsoft link: